Millions of Americans are plagued on a daily basis with a variety of allergies. These allergies can range from such things as being allergic to various types of food and hay fever. Dr. Rubinstein is expertly trained (& certified by the American Academy of Otolaryngic Allergy) to treat most allergies and offers patients a full regiment of treatments that can help them finally find freedom from the burden of their allergies. For complex & difficult cases, Dr. Ran Rubinstein often consults with one of the most renowned & leading expert both nationally and internationally, his father, Dr. Arye Rubinstein who is the chairman and head of the allergy & immunology training program at Albert Einstein College of Medicine.
The first step to treating an allergy is to schedule a consultation with Dr. Rubinstein followed by an appointment for allergy testing. The testing is completed in two appointments. During the first appointment, patients will undergo an allergy skin test for outdoor, indoor and airborne allergens. The second appointment includes an intradermal skin test and food testing. This test is administered through an injection with a tiny needle where a small amount of allergen is placed just underneath the surface of the skin. In some situations, this test will be administered during the first appointment.
Once Dr. Rubinstein has determined the cause of your allergy and the appropriate treatment, you will then begin immunotherapy. This typically requires weekly injection for about a year. Each week you’ll be given a stronger dose than the last until you reach a point where you’re receiving the maximum dose. The maximum dose will create “blocking antibodies” preventing most allergic symptoms often better than medications. Many are weaned off most of their allergy pills and spray. Sinus sufferers will often see less infection and hopefully avoid the need for surgery. Those who had surgery will find their results are sustained as a result of treating the most common cause, allergies. It’s vital you strive to adhere to the weekly schedule of injections because if you miss a week, the dosage can’t be increased the following week.
I had the balloon Sinuplasty and rhinoplasty with Dr. Rubinstein on July 30th. I have been going to him for a while, and I get allergy shots there, too. He is a very professional surgeon. So far, it has been eight weeks and I am breathing better. I didn’t have pain after surgery, but I did have an issue with being very stuffy, and not being able to breath through my nose. That was a little tough for 2 weeks. Once I could actually blow my nose, it was fine. I will recommend Dr. Rubinstein to other people.
Frequently Asked Questions
How often do I receive the injections after the first year?
Once you’ve received four peak dose treatments, you may then opt to receiving your injections every two weeks and continue this schedule for a year as long as symptoms don’t return. During the third year, Dr. Rubinstein may scale back the injections to every three weeks. When starting the fourth year of treatments, there are some patients who can handle monthly injections. It is important to understand there are cases where receiving your allergy shot every three to four weeks could result in the return of your symptoms. This often occurs during peak allergy season. If this should occur, contact your allergy nurse so she can consult with Dr. Rubinstein about increasing your injection regiment.
When will the injections stop?
In most cases, immunotherapy is not a life-long treatment. One of the advantages of this treatment is at least 80 percent of patients discontinue treatment after they have been free of symptoms for a few years. The duration of treatment simply varies from patient to patient. The remaining 20 percent must continue treatments indefinitely for it to be successful and become symptom free.
How will the decision be made to stop injections?
Every six months you will be required to meet with Dr. Rubinstein so that he may evaluate your progress and for any medication refills that may be needed. Treatments are usually discontinued between two and five years. They can be restarted if needed. Dr. Rubinstein will discontinue treatment if these criteria are met:
- You have received injections for a minimum of three years at stable maintenance levels so that adequate antigens are blocking antibodies.
- You exhibit relief from symptoms during all four seasons.
It’s important to know that missing one injection will not result in a flare-up of symptoms.
Can food allergies be cured?
Food allergies are treated by avoiding certain foods and not through immunotherapy. Following your prescribed “rotation diet” will help alleviate symptoms from food allergies. If you fail to follow your diet, it may seem like your allergy shots are not effective due to the persistence of symptoms.